John Green is an “easy target” because he’s a smug elitist and a passive-aggressive bully. he’s a sniveling little weasel who feels put upon because his interests are slightly different from those represented as typical for an ideal male subject, but who will never, ever do anything to undermine or betray the inheritance he has received as a result of that subjectivity. instead, he’ll whine about how he’s actually the ideal male subject and everyone would be better off if we accepted that and other men tried to be more like him. see his horrifically sexist pontifications on how “nerd girls are an untapped dating resource” for a good example of this.
“But if you forget to reblog Madame Zeroni, you and your family will be cursed for always and eternity.”
Far too often, I’ve heard radical queers and feminists, in their hipster garb, talking their academic jargon about checking one’s privilege and being accountable, and in the same breath mocking poor people. It’s not always explicit. Actually, in social justice circles, it hardly ever is. Many of you know not to say words like ghetto or white trash, or at least I hope you do, because of its classist and racist implications, but that seems to be where the anti-classist work stops. So, let me help you.
- Every time you push your vegan/vegetarian/pescatarian diet on people, remember that your diet is a privilege that doesn’t make you superior or more of an environmentalist, food justice champion, animal lover or good human. I know you know about food deserts. Well, you don’t have to live in one to not be able to afford to have a restrictive diet.
- Furthermore, poor folks went green along ass time ago. I don’t get why you feel so special about your mason jars and bicycles. Oh good for you for taking the bus when you could’ve driven. Do you want a vegan gluten-free cookie?
- Yes, Wal-Mart is evil. So, is Urban Outfitters. Get over yourself. The only reason why Wal-Mart is singled out is because poor people shop there and it is easier to distance yourself from the problem. So, stop judging poor consumers who are just trying to feed and clothe their families, and start working to dismantle capitalism, or at least organize for workers’ rights (preferably in a non savior complex kinda way).
- Your shitty college dorm room, apartment or shared house, does not make you poor, neither does shopping at Good Will.
- There is a difference between being broke and poor, much like the difference between acute and chronic pain. Learn the difference.
- For those of you who do work with poor folks, you are not special, and you are not a savior. Like I said before, drop the savior routine. It makes a big difference when you take the cues from the communities you are serving. And, just because someone isn’t a college educated career activist, doesn’t mean they don’t know what is best for them and their communities. So, don’t be a condescending ass when people don’t talk like you, and practice some real nonjudgmental allyship.
- Pro tip: classy, trashy, hood, ghetto, dangerous/sketchy/seedy (in reference to poor PoC neighborhoods), white trash, etc are all really classist terms and hella racist too. Think about it, why do we specify that the trash is white? Because all other trash must be brown, right? If you don’t have a claim to these words, don’t use them.
Anyway, the examples could go on, and if anyone wants to add onto this, please do. I just don’t understand how a community that prides itself on fighting body-shaming and slut-shaming, could be so unequivocally class-shaming. In your own words, you better check your privilege.
Every time you focus on shaming poor people instead of dismantling the system that makes it cheaper to exploit and abuse human, animal, and environmental resources, you are doing it wrong.
also: If you’re willing to shit on women of color for not going vegetarian while still using language like “slavery” to describe zoos and shit, you’re being a really shitty human being (because, oh hey, slavery still exists in many contexts and it’s disproportionately WOMEN OF COLOR)
13 days, 19 chapters and 7313 words later, i can finally say that my macklemore/kanye west magical girl/high school AU featuring vriska serket as mitt romney, the entire republican party, skrillmau5 as mecha pilots, and taylor swift as a cannibalistic vampire fan fiction, same love lockdown, has finally come to a close. thank you all for reading <3
GOD BLESS THE INTERNET SOMETIMES
Criminology, The Ohio State University
My school has a conservative “satire” paper that’s 90% mockery (their “coverage” of the school’s feminist conference was a paragraph mocking the keynote speaker’s appearance). Last fall they had a seriously racist issue whining about affirmative action, and someone went and took all of the copies of the paper and destroyed them and now they’re threatening legal action against the University.
And OF COURSE, Fox News has picked up the story, and it’s all just kind of a trainwreck.
I hate this shithole so much.